Hill+Knowlton Strategies has an exciting opportunity for an entry to mid-level public affairs consultant to join our Toronto office. We’re looking for a passionate and detail-oriented, team-player with Ontario provincial public affairs experience to assist clients with their government and stakeholder relations programs, and to work with our team as we grow our public affairs practice. A background in politics and political processes is a critical asset in this role.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is the nation’s leading strategic communications consultancy. Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Workplaces for 11 consecutive years, our employees work in a collegial and fast-paced environment. We offer the opportunity to work with a team of top talent and to share your professional life with others who are committed to being the best. Hill+Knowlton offers exciting work opportunities, a robust professional development program, and competitive compensation and benefits.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Proactively monitors governments at both the elected and non-elected levels
- Undertakes specific research activities in support of broader strategies and plans
- Prepares briefings and communiqués for clients based on monitoring and research
- Undertakes on-going process of tracking, interpreting and reporting on longer-term issues and developments
- Evaluates developments in social media as it relates to policy issues and stakeholder engagement and provides insight regarding their impact
- Demonstrates creative thinking and problem-solving in implementing clients’ plans
- Implements strategies and plans for clients including making recommendations for social media and other communications efforts, to meet client requirements
- Arranges meetings with government and stakeholders and participates when possible
- Provides information and intelligence to account leads that could advance a particular file or client issue
- Builds relationships with stakeholders and in government at the political and official levels
- Coordinates logistical arrangements for special events
- Develops rapport with clients through email correspondence, telephone conversations and in-person meetings, with guidance from senior team members
- Provides updates to teammates about program progress and recommends adjustments to client programs based experience and feedback
- Prepares agendas, activity reports, critical paths and contact reports
- Compiles work product in accordance with deadlines
- Proactively identifies next steps in projects based on plans
- Participates in preparing the firm’s new business proposals and presentations
Qualifications and Requirements
- Undergraduate degree
- A minimum of one year experience in Queen’s Park; experience in the Ontario government will also be considered
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Entrepreneurial approach to work and business
- Able to manage multiple client demands with grace
- Is thorough, detail-oriented and deadline driven
- Demonstrates the ability to network and develop relationships with key stakeholders and potential clients
- Is a persuasive and articulate communicator
- Possesses a working knowledge of legislative and regulatory procedures
- An understanding of the nature of the relationship between government, the media, social media and opinion leaders and stakeholders, and the nature of the relationship between the elected and non-elected levels of government
- Ability to draw on a large network of individuals and organizations to perform research and investigations on issues, trends, developments, and individuals
- The ability to work with a team of people from Hill+Knowlton and within client environments
- Conversant with clients’ businesses, interests and concerns
- Interest in, and basic understanding of, business practices and vendor relations
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with social media, digital strategies and tools
What’s in it for you?
- Full health benefits package — including healthy paid time off, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement, and more
- New business commission potential and employee referral bonus
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and client accounts
- A passionate, smart, fun, and creative office culture
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
This job posting does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this capacity. He or she may be expected to perform other related duties as required.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.